Made in 1981 by Canon and also known as the Super Sure Shot (US) and Autoboy Super (Japan), the AF35ML was the second in Canon's Sure Shot series and became the compact camera of choice for professionals who wanted to shoot in low-light, since it has a large 1.9 aperture lens.
The shutter button can be held down and able to expose at approx. 1 fps. without flash. A beep will occur if the camera shakes. This happens most often during slow shutter speeds where the camera need to be steady.
The camera features a CCD based auto focus system. The auto focusing mode is shown on the viewfinder. Three different LED modes are shown on the left; portrait, group and mountain. Focus lock can also be done by pressing the shutter half way. If a mode is not lit the AF system may be confused and exposure will most likely not be in focus. Common problematic focusing situations include subjects without vertical lines, solid coloured objects, subject with objects in front, back lite or reflective subjects.
The camera uses two common AA batteries, with a life of 30 (36 exp.) rolls or 5 rolls when using flash with every exposure. The flash in up position will also reduce the battery. A battery check mode is available by turning the mode dial to b.c. Eight beeps per second means the batteries are okay. Slower bps means battery replacement is needed.
At the end of the film roll the camera will emit an electronic beep. To rewind the film back into the canister; on the base of the camera, press and hold the round silver button and slide the rewind switch.
- Lens: 40mm f/1.9 (5 elements in 5 groups).
- Focus: Passive triangulation system autofocus (uses CCD) with pre-focus lock, instead of Canon's usual near-infrared system for compacts. 0.9m min. focus distance.
- Electromagnetic programmed shutter. EV 4 (f/1.9 at 1/4 sec.) - 17 (f/18 at 1/400 sec.)
- Under-exposure warning beep.
- Reversed Galilean viewfinder with projected frames, zone focusing marks for near, medium, and far distances parallax correction marks and LED warnings.
- Film speed settings of ISO 25-400 or 25-1000.
- Integral flash (guide No. 11 at ISO 100 in meters).
- 48mm Screw-in filter thread.
- Film transport: Automatic advance and rewind.
- Power: Two 1.5V AA batteries.
- Dimensions and weight: 122 x 73 x 55 mm, 440 g (with batteries).